Yes, as of Monday, February 22, 2021, Bitdefender detects the new Silver Sparrow malware for Mac. Here at Bitdefender, we are on top of the latest threats.
What is Silver Sparrow?
Silver Sparrow is a new malware specifically designed to target both Intel and M1 Macs. This piece of malware contains an unknown payload and is capable of running natively on the new Mac computers with Apple silicon processors as well. Moreover, it’s able to destroy itself after entering the macOS system, leaving no trace of its original code.
How do I check if I am protected against Silver Sparrow?
To make sure you are protected against the new Silver Sparrow malware keep your Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac up-to-date. If you are connected to the Internet and Bitdefender Shield is enabled, Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac checks for updates every hour. When an update is available, it is automatically downloaded and installed on your Mac. You can also perform manual updates at any time:
1. Click the ‘B’ icon in the top menu bar and choose ‘Open Main Window’ to bring up Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac.
2. Click ‘Actions’ in the menu bar.
3. Then choose ‘Update threat information database’.
4. Bitdefender will check for updates.
5. If an update is available, it is automatically downloaded and installed on your Mac.