Bitdefender setup has encountered an error? In rare situations, this message may appear shortly after starting the Bitdefender installation process on a Windows computer.
To fix this situation, you will have to follow these steps:
- Remove any previous versions of Bitdefender from your system by using one of the uninstall tools available here.
- Remove all other security solutions installed and reboot the computer. To uninstall them from the Control Panel, use the instructions provided here. You will also find a list of uninstall tools for common antivirus software here.
- After that, reinstall Bitdefender from your Bitdefender Central.
If the setup error persists, we recommend the following:
1. Use the Microsoft System File Checker tool (SFC) to repair missing or corrupted files, as specified in this Microsoft article.
2. Use the Check Disk tool to check the integrity of disks and correct certain types of common errors. To use the tool from an elevated command prompt, you will have to:
- Click the Windows Start menu in the lower-left corner of the screen then type in Command Prompt.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator in the menu.
- Click Yes on the User Account Control prompt.
- To find and repair errors on drive C input the command chkdsk /f C:
- If you want to scan a different drive, just replace C with the corresponding letter of your drive.
3. Perform all the Windows updates (make sure you have the latest Service Pack installed). Find out more about Windows Update by accessing this Microsoft link.
ⓘ Note: If you use Windows 8 or a newer Windows version, please also run the DISM command as follows:
- Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, press the Windows Start menu in the lower left corner of the screen and type in Command Prompt
- Right-click on Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
- Click Yes on the User Account Control Prompt.
- Input the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and then press Enter on your keyboard.
4. Manually add permissions to the Bitdefender installation folders. To do this, you will have to:
- Manually create the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation\
- Then right-click on SetupInformation folder and then select Properties.
- Click on the Security tab then click on the Edit button.
- Select your Windows username. After selecting your username, check the box next to Full Control. This will set the correct Windows permissions for the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\SetupInformation folder.
- Also set full permissions for these two folders below by repeating step 4 above:
C:\Program Files\Bitdefender (create it manually if doesn’t exist)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender
5. After setting full permissions on the above folders, please restart the computer and install Bitdefender from your Central account.