You may see the following error when trying to install Bitdefender on a Windows computer: « This product cannot be installed on devices with ARM processors » .
This message can appear if Bitdefender is not compatible with the CPU (processor) of the device. Although it runs Windows 10, it runs on a Qualcomm platform. ARM-based processors are not supported by Bitdefender.
What is an ARM processor?
All PCs, tablets, and smartphones use a processor.
Usually, desktop and laptop computers use Intel or AMD processors. These are high performance computing CPUs that require a cooling system, a large battery or a power source.
All smartphones have ARM chips instead of Intel chips inside them. ARM processors improve power consumption and heat dissipation, which makes them ideal for smartphones and tablets where portability and battery life are key features. These battery-powered devices run a low-resource operating system and do not require the high processing power of conventional computers.
As they are efficient and reasonably priced, some Windows laptops are shipped with ARM processors. Notably, Microsoft Surface Pro X, ASUS NovaGo, HP Envy x2, and Samsung Galaxy Book S use ARM processors. However, these laptops do not run native Windows 10. Microsoft has created a custom Windows 10 version for ARM hardware, one that can run traditional Windows desktop applications but comes with some limitations. ARM processors can run 32-bit apps, but not all 64-bit apps: only those that have been ported to ARM64. App availability and compatibility may vary. More information about Windows 10 ARM-based PCs and app limitations is available in this article.
How do I know if my PC has an ARM processor?
To check if your PC uses a processor with an ARM architecture, use any of these steps:
• look at the description available on the manufacturer’s website.
• do a search on Google with your model name and the term «ARM».
• click the Windows Start button, then choose Settings. In Windows Settings open System, scroll down and click About. Review the information that appears next to the words «Processor» and «System type» to find details about your processor. You’ll see the manufacturer (eg Qualcomm, Intel or AMD) and architecture (eg ARM-based processor).
• open the Windows Start menu. Search for Task Manager and click top result to open the app. Click the Performance tab, then click CPU on the left hand side. The CPU information appears on the top-right corner.
• open the Windows Start menu. Search for Control Panel and click top result to open the app. Click the System icon. Review the information that appears next to the words «Processor» and «System type» to find details about your processor.
After you complete the steps, you’ll know if your device is using a processor from Qualcomm (ARM), Intel, or AMD.
What are my options?
You won’t be able to install Bitdefender on a Windows ARM-based PC.
However, Windows Security will help keep it safe for the supported lifetime of your Windows 10 device.
As for your Bitdefender subscription, you can share the extra slot with the dear ones or you can choose to protect one of your other devices that meets the system requirements.