1. What is Bitdefender VPN?
A VPN (or Virtual Private Network) is a service that allows you to connect to the internet by the means of an encrypted and secure tunnel. This way, all your traffic stays private and anonymous.
Bitdefender VPN secures your online activity so that you remain protected each time you connect to unsecured wireless networks while in airports, malls, cafés, or hotels. This way, unfortunate situations such as theft of personal data, or attempts to make your device’s IP address accessible to hackers can be avoided. Restricted content can be accessed as well, no matter the country that practices internet censorship.
2. When should I use Bitdefender VPN?
You have to be careful when you access, download, or upload content on the Internet. To make sure you stay safe while browsing the web, we recommend you to use Bitdefender VPN when you:
• want to connect to public wireless networks
• want to access content that is normally restricted in specific areas, no matter if you are home or abroad
• want to keep your personal data private (usernames, passwords, email addresses, credit card information, etc.)
• want to hide your IP address
3. Can Bitdefender VPN be installed as a stand-alone app?
Bitdefender VPN is installed automatically alongside your Bitdefender security solution. It can also be installed as a standalone app from the product page, from Google Play Store & App Store.
4. What is the difference between Bitdefender VPN and the Premium VPN version?
Bitdefender VPN is included by default in your Bitdefender product on Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS. It offers 200 MB daily traffic per device (a 500MB daily traffic quota is included only in Bitdefender Small Office Security subscriptions) and automatically connects you to the optimal server, without having the possibility to change it. You can purchase the Bitdefender Premium VPN subscription to get unlimited traffic and the option to connect to any available server. The benefits of the Premium version will get unlocked once you activate the subscription.
5. Will Bitdefender share my IP address and personal data shared with third parties?
No, with Bitdefender VPN your privacy is 100% safe. Nobody (advertising agencies, ISP’s, insurance companies, etc.) will have access to your online logs.
6. Can I have access to GEO-IP restricted content?
With Premium VPN you have access to an extensive network of virtual locations all over the world.
7. Will Bitdefender VPN have a negative impact on the battery life of my device?
Bitdefender VPN is designed to protect your personal data, hide your IP address while connected to unsecured wireless networks, and access restricted content in certain countries. To avoid unnecessary battery consumption of your device, we recommend you to use the VPN only when you need it, and disconnect when offline.
8. Is Bitdefender Premium VPN a different subscription?
Yes, Bitdefender Premium VPN is a separate subscription from the Bitdefender security solution one.
9. What happens when my Bitdefender security solution’s subscription expires, but I still have an active Premium VPN subscription?
Once your Bitdefender subscription expires your device will no longer be protected against threats, and you will not be warned when trying to access dangerous sites. However, the Premium VPN functionality will still be available in the product.
10. Why am I encountering internet slowdowns while connected with Bitdefender VPN?
Bitdefender VPN is designed to offer you a light experience while surfing the web; however, your internet connectivity or the server distance you connect to may cause a slowdown. In this case, if it is not a must to connect from your location to a faraway hosted server (e.g. from the USA to China), we recommend you to allow Bitdefender VPN to automatically connect you to the nearest server, or find a server closer to your current location.
11. How many devices does my Premium VPN subscription cover?
Regardless of the subscription type, Premium VPN can be used on maximum 10 devices at once.
If your Bitdefender security solution includes a Premium VPN subscription (e.g. Bitdefender Premium Security), then the VPN will inherit the device limit in that bundle (10, 15, etc.). It can protect the same number of devices as your Bitdefender security solution subscription but no more than 10 devices connected at a time.
However, if your Bitdefender security solution does not include a Premium VPN subscription (such as Bitdefender Family Pack that covers up to 15 devices) when you purchase a Premium VPN subscription it will cover only 10 devices, not 15.
12. How do I troubleshoot VPN connection errors?
If you encounter issues while using Bitdefender VPN, you can try to solve them by following the instructions provided in this article – Troubleshooting Bitdefender VPN errors.