With the launch of the newest version of Apple’s operating system, dubbed macOS 10.13 High Sierra, the installation process for Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac will experience certain changes.
Before you proceed with the installation, make sure you meet the minimum system requirements.
To Install Antivirus for Mac on an Apple device running macOS High Sierra or a newer version, you will need to follow the steps detailed below:
1. Go to your Bitdefender Central account.
NOTE: If you don’t have an account already, please sign up for one.
• Prior to the installation of Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac, please make sure that you have a Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac subscription in your Central account so the product you install can retrieve it’s validity from your account.
• If you have an older license key for the previous Antivirus for Mac product, you can find how to transform it into a Bitdefender subscription, in this article, here.
2. Select the My Devices panel.
3. In the My Devices window, click INSTALL Bitdefender.
4. In the newly opened window, click on the Download button.
NOTE: If you want to install Bitdefender On another device, select this option (this way you will send an email with the installation agent to an email address of your choice).
5. An agent will be downloaded on your system, respectively in the Downloads folder. Please double click on this agent file with the .pkg extension and follow the on-screen instructions. Click on Continue.
6. Next, you will be guided through the steps necessary to install security on your Mac. Click on Continue.
7. In order to continue the installation, you will have to agree to the terms of the software Subscription Agreement
8. Select the disk where you want to install the Bitdefender software, then click on Continue. After that, select Install.
9. When prompted, type your username and password, then click Install Software.
10. A small window will appear and Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac will automatically download and install.
11. At this point, you will be notified that a system extension signed by Bitdefender has been blocked. This is not because of an error. Click on OK. If you are not running macOS 10.13 High Sierra, proceed directly to Step 12
12. After the restart, the main Antivirus for Mac interface will display the following window: Introducing Safe Files. Click on Enable.
NOTE: Safe Files protects your sensitive files against ransomware. To protect more folders, click on the + in the lower left side of the window and select their corresponding paths.
13. Next, the main interface will display another window: Introducing Time Machine Protection. Click Enable Protection to protect your backups.
NOTE: This window will appear only if you are installing Antivirus for Mac for the first time. The next installations will not display this window. In this case, you manually enable Time Machine Protection from Preferences.
NOTE: If you don’t have the Time Machine enabled you may choose Go to Time Machine and turn it on.
14. Finally, a new message will appear, informing you that Safe Files is Enabled and Time Machine Protection is enabled.