Generating Endpoint Security for Mac Support Tool Log
In very rare situations Endpoint Security for Mac may encounter issues that are impeding the product to work as designed. In such case, you must submit a request to the Bitdefender Technical Support Team for them to investigate and see why the product’s functions are not performing as they should.
When sumbitting a request, you need to provide the following:
- A detailed description of the issue you are encountering.
- A screenshot (if applicable) of the exact error message that appears.
- A Support Tool log that contains system information.
The Support Tool consists in two parts, GatherBD and BDProfiler. The tool collects logs for the Bitdefender daemons along with product and system logs (such as the IP address of the machine, the OSX version and the allocated resources).
Below are presented two methods which will help you generating the Support Tool log.
Starting with the product version 22.214.171.124022, you can use GatherBD method to collect the logs.
If the product is not installed on the affected machine or if you cannot run the GatherBD commands, you can always use the BDProfiler method.
Collect logs with GatherBD
To collect logs from the affected endpoint, follow these steps:
- Open a Terminal window.
- Type the following commands to enable logging:
$ cd /Library/Bitdefender/AVP/enterprise.bundle/
$ sudo ./GatherBD start
- Reproduce the issue.
- Stop logging:
$ sudo ./GatherBD stop
- Gather logs into an archive:
$ sudo ./GatherBD archive all
You can find the archive file named BitdefenderSupportTool_Output.zip in: /Library/Application Support/Antivirus for Mac/
- Attach the archive to your support ticket.
If prompted to install Xcode command line developer tools, click Install. When installation is complete, perform once again the above steps.
How to generate a BDProfiler log
To gather Mac system information using the BDProfiler support tool:
- Download the ZIP archive containing the Support Tool.
- Extract the BDProfiler.tool file from the archive.
- Open a Terminal window.
- Navigate to the location of the BDProfiler.tool file.
- Add execute permissions to the file:
chmod +x BDProfiler.tool;
- Run the tool.
- Press Y and enter the password when asked to provide the administrator password.
- Wait for a couple of minutes until the tool finishes generating the log. You will find the resulted archive file (Bitdefenderprofile_output.zip) in the same folder with the tool.
How to Submit a Request
Open a ticket to the Bitdefender Support Team, enter the requested information, attach the log file and the screenshot, and click SUBMIT. If you already have an open ticket with the issue, reply to the confirmation email received from Bitdefender and attach the files to it.