How to scan your computer with Bitdefender Rescue CD
Bitdefender Rescue CD is a free tool that scans your computer in a safe environment, without the need of loading the operating system. With automatic update, the scanning engines are able to detect and disinfect even the latest malware threats.
This article shows how to use Rescue CD to quickly scan and disinfect malware corrupted systems.
If your operating system is infected so as you cannot start it normally:
First, you need to boot the computer from the device which has Rescue CD on it. For details on how to set up a Rescue CD bootable device, refer to this KB article.
- When booting from a local removable device, plug in the USB device or insert the CD into the infected computer.
- Reboot the computer.
- During the boot process, go to the Boot Menu by pressing the appropriate key, as displayed on the screen. Most common keys are: F8, F10, F12 or ESC, depending on the model of the computer.
Choose the device to boot from:
- USB device
- CD/DVD device
- Network location
Select Start the Bitdefender Rescue CD in English from the option menu and press ENTER. Rescue CD will load and it will display the welcome screen.
NOTE: Do not press E to edit the command or C for command-line interface unless you are an advanced Linux user.
IMPORTANT: Please verify you have internet access. If the connection is prohibited, you might need to configure Rescue CD to use a proxy server. To learn how to configure Rescue CD to use proxy servers, refer to this KB article.
- To continue using the product, you must read and agree to the License Agreement. Select the checkbox and click the Continue button. Bitdefender scanner will automatically update and start to scan all local drives.
- When the scan is complete, remove or quarantine any infection found and then exit the Bitdefender scanner.
Exit Rescue CD and reboot your computer:
- From the lower-left corner of your desktop screen, click the Bitdefender icon and then the Log Out icon. The Log out window will appear.
- Click Restart. The computer will boot normally.
- If you have used a removable device, you can eject it now.
- How to set up a Bitdefender Rescue CD
- How to recover files with Bitdefender Rescue CD
- Update Bitdefender Rescue CD over a proxy server