I cannot access a device on my network
Depending on the network you are connected to, the Bitdefender firewall may block the connection between your system and another device (such as another computer or a printer). As a result, you may no longer share or print files.
In this case, the best solution is to configure Bitdefender to automatically allow connections to and from the respective device. For each network connection you can configure a special trusted zone.
A trusted zone is a device that you fully trust. All traffic between your computer and the trusted device is allowed. To share resources with specific devices, such as computers or printers, add them as trusted zones.
To add a trusted zone on your network adapters, follow these steps:
- Open the Bitdefender window.
- Click the Settings button on the upper toolbar.
- In the Settings Overview window, select Firewall.
- In the Firewall Settings window, select the Settings tab.
- Under Firewall Rules, click Adapter Rules.
- To add a zone, click the corresponding button. A new window displaying the IP addresses of the devices connected to the network will appear.
- Select the IP address of the computer or the printer you want to add, or type an address or address range in the provided text box.
- Go to Permission and select Allow.
If you still cannot connect to the device, the issue may not be caused by Bitdefender.
Check for other potential causes, such as the following:
- The firewall on the other computer may block file and printer sharing with your computer.
- If the Windows Firewall is used, it can be configured to allow file and printer sharing as follows: open the Windows Firewall settings window, Exceptions tab and select the File and Printer Sharing check box.
- If another firewall program is used, please refer to its documentation or help file.
- General conditions that may prevent using or connecting to the shared printer:
- You may need to log on to a Windows administrator account to access the shared printer.
- Permissions are set for the shared printer to allow access to specific computer and users only. If you are sharing your printer, check the permissions set for the printer to see if the user on the other computer is allowed access to the printer. If you are trying to connect to a shared printer, check with the user on the other computer if you have permission to connect to the printer.
- The printer connected to your computer or to the other computer is not shared.
- The shared printer is not added on the computer.
To learn how to manage printer sharing (share a printer, set or remove permissions for a printer, connect to a network printer or to a shared printer), go to the Windows Help and Support Center (in the Start menu, click Help and Support).
- Access to a network printer may be restricted to specific computers or users only. You should check with the network administrator if you have permission to connect to that printer.