
Australia has moved to strengthen Roblox child safety procedures after the country’s online safety regulator discovered gaps that could permit strangers to contact kids and view parts of their profiles without parental consent.
Now Roblox has three months to strengthen its safeguards for Australian users. The company must restrict adult-to-child contact, make children’s accounts private by default, improve reporting outcomes, and submit its safety controls to an external audit, including age-estimation technologies.
If Roblox breaches the agreement, eSafety can ask the Federal Court to order compliance. Roblox says it believes it complies with Australia’s Online Safety Act, but it has agreed to the additional measures.
eSafety said testing earlier this year found safety issues that could have exposed kids to risks. The regulator said adult users could send connection requests to children without parental or carer consent.
They also discovered that children and adults could view and respond to each other’s posts in forums outside game environments without parental or carer consent. Children’s connections, account names, avatars, biographies and other information could also be visible across the platform, with no option to limit the visibility of that information.
Roblox is especially important to Australian regulators because of its reach. eSafety cited research estimating that about 1.7 million Australian children use the platform, which it described as the country’s second-most-popular game among children. The regulator’s announcement attributes the estimate to Roy Morgan research.
Under the undertaking, Roblox has committed to several measures intended to reduce unwanted adult-to-child contact and improve accountability:
The three-month deadline is significant. Roblox must not only announce changes; it must implement them. A breach could lead eSafety to seek a Federal Court order compelling compliance and any other order the court considers appropriate. eSafety did not state that the undertaking itself imposes an automatic fine.
Roblox has already made age-based communication a major part of its safety strategy. In our earlier coverage, we explained the company’s plans for age estimation, Trusted Connections and parent insights. Australia’s undertaking shifts the focus from product promises to independently verifiable results.
The undertaking applies in Australia and the promised changes need time to take effect. Parents don’t need to wait to reduce exposure to unwanted contact.
No. Roblox has agreed to a court-enforceable undertaking with Australia’s eSafety regulator. The platform remains available, but it must introduce additional child-safety measures within three months.
eSafety said its testing found that adult strangers could send connection requests to young children without parental consent. It also identified broadly visible children’s profile and connection information and adult-child interaction in some forum areas.
Roblox has three months from the August 20, 2026 undertaking to implement the agreed changes.
eSafety can apply to Australia’s Federal Court for an order requiring Roblox to comply and for other orders the court considers appropriate. The regulator did not say the undertaking creates an automatic fine.
Yes. Platform-level safeguards help, but parents should still review privacy, communication, friend and spending settings with their child and discuss how to handle contact from strangers.
· Roblox Introduces Selfie-Based Age Check for Teen Users
· Kids in Roblox Will Need Parent’s Consent to Message Others
· Roblox Under Investigation as Dutch Authorities Cite Risks to Minors
tags
Silviu is a seasoned writer who followed the technology world for almost two decades, covering topics ranging from software to hardware and everything in between.
View all posts