Rescue Environment is a Bitdefender feature that allows you to scan and remove stubborn threats that cannot be eliminated while the operating system is running. Advanced malware can camouflage itself among other legitimate processes running onto the system, which dramatically increases discovery and disinfection times. Rootkits – for example – are designed to conceal their presence and need to be removed before Windows starts.
Bitdefender Rescue Environment is only available in Windows 10 and later.
How do I enter Rescue Environment?
When Bitdefender detects a threat that cannot be removed, it will prompt you to reboot the computer in Rescue Environment for clean-up and restoration. Simply click REBOOT IN RESCUE ENVIRONMENT at the end of the scan.
The computer will automatically restart in Rescue Environment and will begin scanning your computer for viruses and all other types of malware. Once the scan is completed, Bitdefender will remove the infection.
You can also enter Rescue Environment manually from the Bitdefender interface:
1. Bring up Bitdefender and choose Protection on the left-hand side menu.
2. In the ANTIVIRUS pane, click Open.
3. In the Scans tab click the Open button next to Rescue Environment.
4. Choose Restart in the confirmation window that appears next.
5. The computer will restart directly in Rescue Environment.
6. The scanning process begins instantly. Wait for the scan to complete. If any threat is detected, follow the instructions to remove it.
How do I exit Rescue Environment?
There are two easy ways to exit Bitdefender Rescue Environment:
A. You can either click the CLOSE button from the scan window with the scan results. Right afterward, the computer will restart and boot up Windows.
B. Another way to exit is to stop the scan at any point. Once the scan is canceled, the computer will restart and boot up Windows.