This article will show you how to allow your printer or another network device through Bitdefender firewall.
Depending on the network you are connected to, the firewall may block the connection between your system and another device such as another PC, a scanner, or a printer. As a result, you may no longer share or print files. In this case, the best solution is to configure Bitdefender to allow print data to pass through the firewall to the printer.
VIDEO – How to allow a Printer through Bitdefender firewall
Follow the steps below to add a Bitdefender firewall exception that will allow access to your printer or another network device:
1. Open the main Bitdefender interface.
2. Go to the Protection menu and temporarily toggle the Firewall to the OFF position to check if it interferes with the printer.
3. Click Settings in the FIREWALL module.
4. Then go to the Network Adapters tab. Click on the box corresponding to your network adapter and select Home/Office.
5. Next, go to the Settings tab.
6. Click on Edit stealth settings.
7. Set the switch corresponding to your network adapter to OFF (gray switch). After that, click on OK.
8. Now go to the Rules tab and click Add rule.
9. In the upper part of the window, activate the switch Apply this rule to all applications.
10. Click Hide Advanced Settings, then scroll down.
11. Activate the switch Custom Remote Address. Then, under it, type the IP address of the device you want to connect to in its corresponding field.
12. Finally, click Save to confirm the new firewall rule. Now you should be able to use your printer or network device when the firewall is enabled.
Note: If you still cannot connect to the printer or the network device after adding an exclusion for it, the problem may not be related to the Bitdefender firewall. Check for other possible causes, such as the ones listed below.
Another device’s firewall may be blocking file and printer sharing with your computer
If you are using another firewall software, please refer to its documentation or help file. Never have more than one firewall activated simultaneously on your computer. For example, you could have the Windows firewall that comes with the operating system and a third-party firewall enabled at the same time. Having multiple firewalls enabled at the same time will not make your computer more secure. It may lead to connectivity issues.
If you are using Windows Firewall, configure it to allow file and printer sharing as follows:
Common reasons why a network shared printer might not print