These steps are useful in those cases where you are dealing with a malware situation and you need to find and remove the infected files, which could be hidden.
Follow these steps to display hidden objects in Windows:
1. Click Start, go to Control Panel and select Folder Options (or File Explorer Options, if you’re using Windows 8 or a newer version).
2. Go to View tab.
3. Select Display contents of system folders (for Windows XP only).
4. Select Show hidden files and folders.
5. Clear Hide file extensions for known file types.
6. Clear Hide protected operating system files.
7. Click Apply and then OK.