How to configure Bitdefender Management Server post-install
Bitdefender Client Security is an easy to use business security and management solution, which delivers superior proactive protection from viruses, spyware, rootkits, spam, phishing and other malware. It offers the following components: Bitdefender Management Server (with/without add-on), Bitdefender Local Update Server, Bitdefender Business Client and Bitdefender Management Agent;
After you install Bitdefender Management Server, you should consider the following steps in order to configure it correctly:
1. Product Registration
In order for your managed security clients to receive the registration policy you need to enter the license key into the Bitdefender Management Console. To enter the license key:
a. Open the Bitdefender Management Console and log in
b. Click the Tools menu and select Registration.
c. Click the Register Now button and enter the license key. To complete the registration press OK.
Note: For more info, refer to this KB article
2. Customize the dashboard sections.
Each time you connect to Bitdefender Management Server using the management console, or click the server's name in the tree menu, a status pane is displayed. This status pane is referred to as the dashboard. The dashboard provides you with useful information on the network security status and helps you easily solve the issues that require your attention. You should check the dashboard frequently in order to quickly identify and solve the issues affecting Bitdefender Management Server or the network security. More details on how to customize the dashboard sections are available in this article.
3. Configure the Bitdefender Update Server
To access the Bitdefender Update Server's interface click on Start-> All Programs->Bitdefender Management Server->Bitdefender Update Server. Your default browser will display the main Bitdefender Update Server page. Login using the default password "admin" . You can also access the update server's interface by opening your browser and typing the server address using one of the following syntax :
To configure the product select the Settings tab. The configuration options are:
- Update server. By default, Bitdefender Update Server will download updates on the local computer from upgrade.bitdefender.com:80 - internet Bitdefender Update Server;
- Local directory. This path is used to store the downloaded update files. If you want to change this path type the new path in this field;
- Update server port. This port is used for the connection to the local update server. The default port is 7074, but if you want, you can replace this value with a custom one. However, the Bitdefender Update Server port must not be used by other applications installed on the system;
- Update period. The time interval, measured in hours, at which the update server downloads new updates;
- Session period. The time interval at which you will be logged out of the update server interface for inactivity reason;
- Use proxy settings. Select this check box if your company connects to the Internet through a proxy.
- Proxy Address. The IP address of the proxy server.
- Proxy Port. The port used to connect to the proxy server.
- Proxy Username. If your proxy servers uses authentication you can specify that information here.
- Proxy Password.
- Use Proxy cache. Check this box if you want the update server to check the proxy cache.
Click Save settings to save the changes.
Now, click on the Products tab . In this tab you can view the current products for which the update server is downloading updates. If you want to add more products, click the Add new products button. From this page you can select other products for which the update server will download updates. You can see the list of additional Bitdefender client products that can be updated using Bitdefender Update Server. To browse easily through the list, you can filter products by type, platform and language. Select the check box corresponding to the desired products and click Add selected. Hit the "Update all " button after that and wait until all the updates are downloaded.
4. Prepare the network stations for Bitdefender client software deployment
Before deploying any of the products included in the Bitdefender Management Server, make sure that all the conditions presented in this article are followed.
5. Use Deployment Tool for installing the Bitdefender components on the stations/servers.
The easiest way to install the Bitdefender Management Agent, Bitdefender Business Client or any Bitdefender Security for Windows Servers products is using the Deployment Tool option.
You can launch Deployment Tool in one of the following ways:
- Open the management console, click Tools and then Deployment Tool on the menu.
- On the Windows Start menu, follow the path: Start → Programs → Bitdefender Management Server → Bitdefender Deployment Tool. A wizard will appear and guide you through the deployment process.
A. Welcome Window
When you launch Deployment Tool, a welcome window will appear.
B. Select Deployment Method
This window allows you to select the deployment method you want to use.
Select Automatically Install / Uninstall / Repair then click on Next.
C. Select Package
This window allows you to select the package you want to use.
You can see the list of available installation packages:
- Bitdefender Business Client
- Bitdefender Management Agent
- Bitdefender Security for Windows Servers (only available if the corresponding add-on is installed.
Select the package you want to use and click Next. A new window will appear.
D. Select Operation
This window allows you to select what operation to perform.
1. In case you select Bitdefender Management Agent
You must set the following properties:
• Bitdefender Management Server Name or IP - type the name or the IP address of the computer on which Bitdefender Management Server is installed in the corresponding field.
• Bitdefender Management Agent Port - type the communication port used by Bitdefender Management Agent in the corresponding field. By default, the port set during the installation of Bitdefender Management Server is used automatically.
2. In case you select Bitdefender Business Client
Select the options as you desire then click on the Next button.
3. In case you select one of the Bitdefender Security for Windows Servers products.
Select the check boxes corresponding to the specific security solutions that you want to install. Click Next. A new window will appear.
E. Configure Deployment Options
This window allows you to configure the deployment options.
Select the option that you need and then click Next. A new window will appear.
F. Specify Target Computers
This window allows you to specify the computers on which the package will be deployed.
You can easily browse the entire Microsoft Windows Network and see all domains and workgroups in your network.
To specify the target computers, use one the following methods:
- Browse the network to find target computers. You must follow the next steps:
1. Double-click a domain or workgroup in the Entire Network list (or select it from the menu) to see the computers it contains.
2. Double-click the computers you want to add to the target list (or select them and click Add computers to list).
- Type the name or IP address of the target computers directly into the target list, separated by semicolons ";".
Click Start to initiate the deployment process. A new window will appear.
G. View Deployment Status
This window shows you the deployment status.
You can see the deployment status on each target computer. Wait until all deployment processes are finished.
6. Create groups for the stations/servers where you installed the agent and the client
The Managed Computers group contains all the computers managed by Bitdefender Management Server. You can organize managed computers by creating specific groups according to the structure of your organization. In the tree menu, you can see all the groups included in the Managed Computers group.
Initially, managed computers are placed in a default group, called Not Grouped. To display this group, click Not Grouped in the tree menu.
To create a new sub-group in the Managed Computers group or in a custom group, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the group into which the new sub-group is to be included and select Create group. A new group (named New Group) will appear under the parent group in the tree menu.
2. Rename the newly created group.
In a simple configuration there should be created 2 separate groups : Servers and Workstations.
7. Move clients to the created groups
From Not Grouped , select all stations that have Bitdefender Business Client installed, right click on them and choose "Cut to group" .
Now, right click on the Workstations group and select "Paste Client(s)" .
Do the same thing for the group "Servers" with the stations that have installed Bitdefender Security for Windows Servers installed.
7. Assign policies to the groups created earlier
The first policy you should assign to your stations is the Update Scheduled policy from the Bitdefender Business Client templates or Bitdefender for Windows Server templates. A complete description on how to do this, is described in this video tutorial.
For other Bitdefender Business Client policies, check this KB article, where all the policies are fully described.