Whenever data is transmitted over the Internet, certain protocols are used.
With Bitdefender 2017, users can manage the firewall rules controlling applications’ access to network resources and the Internet by following these steps:
1. Click the Protection icon on the left sidebar of the Bitdefender interface.
2. Click the VIEW MODULES link.
3. Select the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the FIREWALL module.
4. Select the Rules tab. Here you will see the programs (processes) for which firewall rules have been created.
NOTE: To see the rules created for a specific application, simply double-click it. For each rule the following information is displayed: Name, Network Type, Protocol and Permission.
In order to manage the rules, you will have to use the three buttons above the table: ADD RULE, DELETE, RESET RULES.
5. To add an application rule, click the ADD RULE button above the table. After that, a new window will appear.
6. Click on Browse and select the .exe file of the application the rule will apply to.
7. Select the Network Type the rule will apply to. You can choose from the following: Trusted, Home/Office, Public and Untrusted.
8. Next, you will have to select the Permission. An application can be allowed or denied network / Internet access on the previously selected network types.
NOTE: You can find more options in the Advanced tab. There, users can customize the following settings:
Custom Remote Address – Specify the remote IP address and port the rule applies to.
Custom Local Address – Specify the local IP address and port the rule applies to.
Direction – Select from the menu the traffic direction the rule applies to.
Protocol – Select from the menu the IP protocol the rule applies to.