How to restart the system in Safe Mode
Author: Ioana Bistriceanu
Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed. Rebooting your PC in Safe mode can be very useful for troubleshooting problems with programs, drivers that might not start correctly or infections that might prevent Windows from starting or functioning properly.
When booting in Safe Mode, the 3 options below will be displayed:
- Safe Mode: loads a limited set of Windows files, drivers and services necessary for loading the operating system. You cannot connect to internet, uninstall programs from Control Panel, install applications or install Windows Updates.
- Safe Mode with Networking: starts Windows with only core drivers, plus Internet connection. Cable connection and most of Wireless Networks should work.
- Safe Mode with Command Prompt: this mode can help you perform advanced diagnostics and solve many serious problems, especially when starting normally, or in other Safe Mode options, is not possible. This will display only a black command prompt window and you can will have to type commands to take actions.
How to restart the system in Safe Mode when using Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7:
- Restart the computer
- Press the F8 key several times before Microsoft Windows begins to load; tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals until a text menu will be displayed (the Advanced boot options)
- Use the arrows from your keyboard to select the mode you need, then press Enter. An example on how Advanced Boot Options with Safe Mode with Networking selected is displayed below:
- Once you have selected the Safe Mode option you need and pressed Enter the computer will boot up into the diagnostic mode.
How to restart the system in Safe Mode when using Windows 8
- Press the Windows key from your keyboard + the C key
- A new menu will be displayed in the right part of the screen and from that menu click Settings.
- Click Power, hold down Shift on your keyboard and click Restart.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Click Advanced options.
- Click Startup Settings.
- On the Startup Settings screen, choose the startup setting you want.
For example, press F5 from your keyboard to boot in Safe mode with Networking
- Then restart the system as requested and it will boot directly in the chosen mode.
For more details on how to restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking for Windows 8, please follow the link below: //windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode
When your PC is acting up, call Bitdefender Tech Assist. We are a team of computer experts, always available to give full personal attention to your PC needs. Tech Assist is available 24/7. Just select the service that fits your needs, and our tech geniuses will do all the work via an ultra-secure remote connection. We save you time and energy so you can focus on what's really important for you.