How to recover files with Bitdefender Rescue CD
Bitdefender Rescue CD is a free tool that scans your computer in a safe environment, without the need of loading the operating system. With automatic update, the scanning engines are able to detect and disinfect even the latest malware threats.
This article shows how to use Rescue CD for recovering your working files from an infected system that fails to start.
To copy files on a removable device:
- Start Rescue CD. For details on how to start Rescue CD, refer to this KB article.
Plug the target device into the USB port. A disk icon like the one below will appear on the desktop. All the detected partitions have similar icons.
- Double click the USB device icon to open the File Manager window and then navigate to the location where files will be saved.
- Double click the infected partition icon to open a second File Manager window and then browse for the files to copy.
- Arrange the windows side by side.
Drag and drop the files from the infected partition to the USB device.
NOTE: Please use caution when copying files from an infected computer. Copy only the files which are unlikely to get infected. Do not open the files unless you have scanned them in advance.
- To safely unplug the USB device, right click its icon and select Eject Volume.