How to configure Parental Control
In order to have access to the Parental Control features, you need to install Bitdefender Internet Security or Bitdefender Total Security on the computer that your children use.
You will then be able to configure the Parental Control settings in detail, or just review each child's activity and take actions from there.
Let's say you want set up Parental Control for a 10-year-old child named Jack.
1. First, create a limited (standard) Windows user account for Jack. Information on how to create a new Windows account is available in this link:
2. Then log in withanadministrator account. Only users with administrative rights on the system (system administrators) can access and configure Parental Control.
3. Turn ON Parental Control on the Bitdefender interface, then click Configure.
4. The Parental Control dashboard will open in a new web browser window. This is where you can check and configure the Parental Control settings.
5. Click Add child on the left-side menu.
6. Enter the name and age of the child in the Profile tab. Setting Jack’s age to 10 will automatically load settings considered appropriate for his age category.
7. Below you will see the devices that are currently linked to your MyBitdefender account. Select the computer and the Windows account for your child. We chose the one for Jack.
8. Now click Create Profile.
9. We will continue now by configuring Jack's account. For instance, we can block his access to Web content related to Online Games and Computer Games. For this:
- go to the Web tab
- click on the Web panel to access the Web Activity window
- click the Categories button
- you can check what web categories are automatically blocked / restricted for the currently selected age group. Check Online Games and Computer Games and click Save. If you change your mind, click the Reset button to use default level of protection based on Jack's age.
10. Then we can prevent him from accessing the Internet every weekday, from 10 AM to 5 PM:
- on the Web Activity window click the Schedule button
- select from the grid the time intervals during which Internet access is blocked
- click Save
11.Finally, we can choose "porn" as a keyword for Jack’s webpage access. The Keywords button allows you to prevent children from viewing a website, sending an e-mail or instant message that contains certain keywords or phrases. You can also prevent certain keywords or phrases from being transmitted by Jack (for instance, your home address or other personal data).
- click the Keywords button
- enter the keyword porn in the corresponding field
click Block to add the word to the list of banned keywords and OK to save the changes. If you change your mind, click the corresponding Remove button