How to clean infected items inside emails
When Bitdefender finds infected items inside email archives it usually cannot clean them due to the fact that the emails cannot be repacked.
The best solution would be to manually delete the e-mails detected by Bitdefender. Bitdefender provides detailed information on the e-mail which contains an infected attachment. The following information is available: Subject, Date, name of the infected attachment.
In order to delete the infected emails you need to:
- open your email client;
- use the scan report generated by Bitdefender in order to locate the infected emails;
- delete all infected emails from their current location; additionally make sure to empty the Deleted Items/Trash folder of your email client;
- compress your email base in order to complete the deletion process; the process differs for each email client:
For Outlook Express: "File" menu > "Folder" > "Compact All Folders";
For Microsoft Office Outlook 2000/2003/2007: "File" menu > "Data File Management..." > select your personal folders and click "Settings" > On the General tab, click on "Compact Now" button > then click OK, and then click Close;
For Microsoft Office Outlook 2010:
- Click the File tab on the Ribbon, and then click the Info tab on the menu.
- Click the Accounts Settings tab, and then click on Accounts Settings again
- Click the Data Files tab.
- Click to select your Personal folder, and then click Settings.
- On the General tab, click Compact Now.
- Click OK, and then click Close.
For Mozilla Thunderbird: "File" menu > "Compact folders";
For Ritlabs The Bat!: "Folder" menu > "Maintenance Center" > select desired folder(s) > select "Compress" checkbox > "Start" button.
If you need further assistance please contact Customer Care.