Bitdefender Clueful - Frequently Asked Questions
What is Bitdefender Clueful?
Every day you enjoy the apps you have installed without knowing what they really do behind your back. Some of these apps can break your privacy by sharing personal data, and by tracking your location.
Bitdefender Clueful is a web application that offers you inside information about Android apps. Find out more information about apps that:
- access or upload your own address book contacts to their cloud
- may learn your real identity
- may be careless, sending your passwords over the Internet and putting your accounts at risk
- may use and upload your Device unique ID to analyze what you do
- gather analytics in order to monitor you
- track your location
- display ads
- can cost you money
So what if an app can access my address book or track my location?
Most apps are legitimate but there are also apps that can track your location, access and share your personal information.
Bitdefender Clueful provides the facts, but ultimately you are the one who has to decide if an app is safe to use or not.
For example, a contacts backup app has every right to access your entire address book, but why should a trappy app do the same?
Does Bitdefender Clueful have all this information about every app out there?
Bitdefender maintains a constantly increasing database of apps we have clues on and thousands of apps are added to this database every day.
Why does Bitdefender Clueful need an Internet connection?
Bitdefender Clueful relies on audit information from the Cloud to constantly offer up-to-date information about apps.
What does the status "Low Risk apps" mean?
This means that there are apps that connect to the Internet without violating your personal information.
I submitted an app that hasn't been analyzed yet. How long before you guys check it?
Thank you! Your submission joins other new apps constantly being added to the queue for analysis. We can't say for sure how long it will take, but we can tell you we're doing our best to get to it as soon as possible. If you think a submission is taking more than it should, use the Send feedback option in the Settings screen to let us know about it.
Can Bitdefender Clueful remove an app from doing something I am not comfortable with?
You can manually remove an app, through Bitdefender Clueful. To do this, tap the name of the application you want to remove, and click Uninstall. Confirm your choice and wait for the uninstall process to complete.
Can I block apps from tracking my location?
Sure, simply go to Settings > Location services on your phone. Turn on or off the location tracking services.
What does Bitdefender Clueful need each permission for?
Bitdefender Clueful needs permissions for:
- Internet access -> used for cloud communication.
- Read phone status and identity -> used to detect if the device is connected to the Internet and to extract certain device info needed to create an encrypted unique ID when communicating to Bitdefender cloud.
What is Privacy Score?
By calculating a Privacy Score for each and every user, Bitdefender Clueful provides a precise and personal overview of how vulnerable you are, so that you can evaluate and take appropriate actions for each installed app. You should take care when your privacy score is low.
Where can I see details about the analyzed apps?
To see details about the analyzed apps, follow these steps:
- Access the Bitdefender Clueful interface;
- Select one of the three categories;
- Tap the app you are interested in.
Information about the app is displayed.
Is there a division of the most dangerous apps?
Yes, Bitdefender Clueful has a list of the most important clues. Tap the filter icon to view it.
The following information is available in this list:
- which apps are viruses
- which apps send your identity to strangers
- which apps use very intrusive ads
- which apps can cost you money
- which apps track your location
- which apps have access to sensitive data
- which apps send data unencrypted
How can I upgrade to Bitdefender Mobile Security?
You can upgrade anytime to Bitdefender Mobile Security and benefit from a complete protection for your mobile device. Bitdefender Mobile Security offers the following features:
- Web Security - allows you to check the web pages you access using Bitdefender cloud services.
- Anti-Theft - allows you to locate your lost or stolen smartphone and prevents your personal data from getting into the wrong hands.
- Application Audit - allows you to see the permissions required by each application installed on your device.
To upgrade to Bitdefender Mobile Security, follow these steps:
- Open Bitdefender Clueful.
- In the home screen, press the Menu key on your device.
- Turn on Advanced Security.
- Click Get it now.
You will be directed to Google Play.
Follow the screen instructions to complete the upgrade process.