What to do when system crashes after installing Bitdefender on Windows 8
With certain hardware configurations, after installing Bitdefender 2013 on a computer using Windows 8 64bits, you might encounter some system crashes.
There are 4 main actions you should perform on your PC to solve this issue:
- Access the Command Prompt option from the advance recovery tools
- Rename 3 Bitdefender files
- Restart in Normal Mode and uninstall Bitdefender
- Reinstall Bitdefender using the latest kit available on our website
You can find below step by step instructions for each action:
Access the Command Prompt option from the advance recovery tools
- Reboot your PC until you are seeing the Recovery window as shown below:
Note: you can also try to access this advanced Recovery mode by holding the Shift button and tap the F8 key continuously. You might have to try this several times to access it.
- Select See advanced repair option
- From the next menu choose Troubleshoot
- Now select Advanced Options
- From this menu click on Command Prompt
- Your system will reboot automatically
- You will be requested to choose your Windows User and type a password if you have one set as shown in the screenshot below where the user is named Bitdefender
Click on the your Windows user
Then click Continue.
Rename 3 Bitdefender files from the command prompt window
- All you should see now is a black command prompt window on a blue screen as the one below
- In the command prompt window type the following commands hitting enter after each one
cd “C:Program FilesBitdefenderBitdefender 2013”
REN vsserv.exe vsserv.ex_
REN updatesrv.exe updatesrv.ex_
REN avchv.sys avchv.sy_
- When finished, close the command prompt window and either click on Continue to restart Windows 8 in Normal Mode or choose Turn off your PC and then turn it on.
- You can remove Bitdefender directly from your MetroApp.
Note: if you are already in the regular desktop move your mouse to the bottom left corner and click on the Start menu that appears; you can also use the Windows button from your keyboard to access the Start menu
- Locate Bitdefender 2013 icon click on the Bitdefender 2013 icon and then select the Uninstall button from the bottom
This will open Programs and Features in Control Panel. Please locate the Bitdefender product in the list, right click on it and choose Uninstall. When a similar window as the one below appears, please select Remove.
When the uninstall process is completed please restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Reinstall Bitdefender 2013 using the latest kit available
Important: even if you have already downloaded an installation kit or you have a Bitdefender Backup DVD, please download the latest kit available on our website as follows:
For Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 64bits click here
For Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 64bits click here
For Bitdefender Total Security 2013 64bits click here
Should you need any guidance during the installation process you can also find here
If you need further assistance please contact Customer Care.