08 Apr 2013
More than $3 billion have been allegedly lost after Anonymous hacked several Israeli web sites, according to cNET. The attackers claim to have breached a dozen official web sites in protest against treatment of Palestinians.
In total, the Operation Israel included the alleged attack of over 100,000 Web sites, 40,000 Facebook accounts, and 30,000 bank accounts. However, Israeli representatives said the cyber-attack has caused minimal disruption.
The web sites allegedly hacked in the operation included those of the Police, the Prime Minister's Office, the Securities Authority, the Immigrant Absorption Ministry, the Ministry of Defense, and the Central Bureau of Statistics.
“So far it is as was expected, there is hardly any real damage,” Yitzhak Ben Yisrael, from the National Cyber Bureau, told the media. “Anonymous doesn't have the skills to damage the country's vital infrastructure. And if that was its intention, then it wouldn't have announced the attack ahead of time. It wants to create noise in the media about issues that are close to its heart.”
The Anonymous PR ‘Office’ announced the attack on April 4.
“You have NOT stopped your endless human right violations,” the press release reads. “You have NOT stopped illegal settlements. You have NOT respected the ceasefire. You have shown that you do NOT respect international law. This is why that on April 7, elite cyber-squadrons from around the world have decided to unite in solidarity with the Palestinian people against Israel as one entity to disrupt and erase Israel from cyberspace.”
Israel launched an attack against Gaza in November 2012, resulting in the deaths of more than 100 people, including children. Back then, Anonymous also hacked several official web sites, but the government said no serious damage was done.
In December, Anonymous members also hacked the Israeli-based website wcites.co.li, leaking 20,000 accounts with clear text passwords, user names and other personal details.