Samba File Servers Are The Backbone Of The Network
Even though Samba file servers are UNIX-based, they serve Microsoft® Windows workstations and server domains. The file servers are not just a network repository for the companys files. Unlike their name suggests, file servers provide critical infrastructure services to ensure communication and interoperability between desktops, printers, and other resources found within the network.
Samba file servers are capable of spreading the following security threats;
- Malicious code through shared files
- Compressed, infected archives
- Viruses, Trojans and Rootkits
- Worms and Spyware
Companies can protect their Samba file server deployments from attack by using Bitdefenders ability to scan for malicious code in files, help ensure compliance to corporate security policies and prevent sensitive data from being distributed outside of the organization.
Bitdefender Security For Samba
Bitdefender Security for Samba enables organizations to deploy antivirus and antispyware protection for their Samba network shares running on Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris systems. Deployed and maintained centrally within the network, Security for Samba scans cross-platform data structures and file stores for malware, keeping network users safe from virus infection.
Securing Samba File Servers With Bitdefender
Bitdefender Security for Samba scans cross-platform data structures and file stores for malware, keeping network users safe from virus infection.
Key Features And Benefits
- Award winning virus detection, cleaning and quarantine
- Minimise network downtime and risk of malware propagation throughout the network by scanning shared files ensuring real-time antimalware protection
- Allows flexible scheduling of on-demand or immediate execution scans
- Quarantines infected or suspected files, minimizing risk of propagation
- Allows remote configuration from any computer in the organization through a web-based Remote Administration interface
- Fully complies with FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard), operating in a completely non-intrusive manner
- Works with any Samba build and can be easily compiled against all versions, thanks to its open-sourced vfs module
- Ensures compatibility with all major UNIX-based platforms due to its rpm, deb and generic .tar.run packages
- Integration with Bitdefenders Management Server
- Centralized dashboard providing deployment status overview with alert thresholds
- Safely quarantine suspicious files, with optional restore to original location feature
- Customizable e-mail notifications or SNMP alerts about its activity: number of scanned, disinfected, deleted, infected or filtered files
Defense In Depth
Bitdefender Security for Samba file servers is just one element in a comprehensive suite of solutions providing end-to-end protection from the gateway to the desktop. Bitdefenders proactive, multi-platform products detect and stop viruses, spyware, adware and Trojan threats that can compromise your network integrity.
Advanced, Proactive Detection
Optimized for Samba File Server environments, Bitdefenders award-winning scan engines have been recognized by leading certification bodies, - including ICSA Labs, Virus Bulletin, and West Coast Labs - for their unmatched proactive antimalware protection. Bitdefender provides multiple levels of advanced protection;
Bitdefender Security for Samba file servers offers proactive protection and centralized management
In addition to signature based detection, Bitdefender Security for Samba file servers provides heuristic detection that emulates a virtual computer-within-a-computer, checking all files and code for malicious behavior. This technique produces fewer false positives and significantly higher detection rates for zero-day and unknown threats.
Granular Scan Configuration And Management
Bitdefender Security for Samba provides on access and scheduled scanning methodologies to detect malicious code and use for file quarantine for any infected or suspected files to safeguard the integrity of the shared files.
Bitdefender Security for Samba file servers offers intelligent updates once an hour with new virus definitions and restricted content database, ensuring your Samba file server deployment is current with the very latest threat protection.
Integration With The Bitdefender Central Management Platform
Bitdefender Security for Samba file servers provides integration with the Management Servers Security Dashboard, giving Administrators enterprise-wide visibility into their network resources and overall security posture. The Bitdefender Management Server provides a centralized point for remote installation, configuration and reporting of all Bitdefender Clients, Server and Gateway products deployed within the enterprise and notifies administrators of scan performance, infections and update tasks through its comprehensive alert module.
System And Security Optimization
Bitdefender is supporting advanced file storage technologies for Samba file servers to ensure minimal system degradation and maximum operational performance.
- Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris
- Linux Kernel 2.6.18 or newer
- glibc 2.3.1 or newer, and libstdc++ from gcc4 or newer
- Version 3.0 or newer
- Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 or newer
- Fedora Core 1 or newer
- FreeBSD: 5.4-RELEASE (or newer, with compat5x)
- Mandrake/Mandriva 9.1 or newer
- Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux 8.2 or newer
- OpenSolaris 2008 or 2009 (x86 platform)
- Oracle Linux 5 or newer
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3, Linux 9 or newer
- Slackware 9.x or newer
- Solaris 9 or 10 (x86 platform)